Legal Requirements

By law, you are required to have a CPH number to keep goats. Even if you only have as little as two, it is still required. This enables DEFRA to locate your premises easily by your County/Parish/Holding number and it also helps them to contact you easily if there should be a disease outbreak in your area. This is easily obtainable from Rural Payments Agency by calling 0845 6037777. This must be in place before the goats come onto your premises.

Goats are also required to be easily identified by an ear tag or ear tattoo. Since January 2008, they now require two tags, one in each ear. This should already be in place when the goats are purchased. Any movements of goats to and from a premises should be accompanied by a movement form which are easy and straightforward. These movements must be to another registered holding.

Contact us for more information

5 + 2 =